Sunday, July 3, 2016

The Road to Pretend Play


The Road to Pretend Play
Written by Guest Blogger Kim Kuncl

Just when you thought it would never arrive… summer is finally here.

As a child I began my summer countdown around January 4, right after returning from Christmas
vacation. It was not that I did not enjoy school. I just enjoyed summer more, like most kids.
I grew up in a small town in a world without the onslaught of electronics. We did have an Atari
and a Nintendo. However, rather than “plugging in”, I preferred to go outside – finding
adventure on my family’s acreage. I used my imagination. I expressed my creativity. I engaged
in pretend play.

With a homemade headband and my “ugly green” lasso of truth, I became Wonder Woman (my
all-time favorite heroine). I saved my pony Trixie from an onslaught of evil sheep invaders
(Trixie was kept in a corral with a family of sheep). Or I saved the world from the evil brothers
of doom and gloom (my younger siblings) as I dodged their attack of dirt clods with my tin foil
bracelets.

Now this may sound – ho-hum boring; However, I had a lot of fun using my imagination by
engaging in pretend play. As an adult I still engage in pretend play, teaching acting classes for
children as well as writing fiction for myself.

Today’s society seems so structured and planned, that it is a rarity for children to participate in
simple pretend play games. It may sound old-fashioned, but there are a lot of entertaining and
fun games children can play just by using their imagination – whether it involves toys or not.
Perhaps a game of making forts out of blankets with living room and dining room chairs – as
long as parents agree. Or a simple tea party with friends, stuffed animals and/or dolls, and
pretend food. I was an only girl so my tea party guests were toys or my younger brothers, if I
could talk them into it.

Pretend play engages a child’s creativity and imagination, which helps a child learn to have fun
on their own as well as with his or her friends. In addition, imaginative play also is an important
step in developing a child’s cognitive skills(1) , including:

1. Thinking and problem solving skills
2. Social skills
3. Communication skills

So this summer, when your child is looking for something to do, encourage your little ones (and
big ones) to participate in pretend play (or creative play, if the word “pretend” sounds too
childish). By doing so, you will take an important step to opening an abundance of doors in your
child’s future.

1. http://www.besteducationalgamesforchildren.com/why-pretend- play-is- important-for- child-
development/

No comments:

Post a Comment